Re: cygport: check setup.hint?

On 7/20/2012 3:27 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
On 2012-07-20 11:19, Ken Brown wrote:
On 7/20/2012 8:35 AM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
The first version is now in cygport git master.  See the Packaging
section of the manual for the variables you need to set in order for
this to work, and be sure to remove your .hint files from $C.

Wow, that was fast. Thanks!

I was already working on the setup.hint generation earlier this week; I just had to add in the dependency generation, the framework for which was there already in __list_deps (although I added to it). That being said, it came together even faster than I had anticipated.

I tested it on cygport itself, emacs, and texlive.  I only found two
small glitches:

1. The setup.hint generated for emacs (but not emacs-X11) erroneously
listed perl and python in the "requires".  I'm attaching my .cygport
file and the associated patches in case you want to try to replicate
this.

/usr/bin/grep-changelog is a perl script, and there are python modules

Ah, I missed that. In the past it wasn't picked up by __list_deps.

in /usr/share/emacs/$PV/etc used by python.el.  I'd say in this case
that the perl dep is correct, but python is optional and could probably
be ignored.

I'm just not sure how to handle that.  AFAICS REQUIRES shouldn't
override autogeneration; there are plenty of cases where it will be
correct but incomplete and we just need to add.  Of course, you could
just continue using a pkg_name.hint for just that subpackage, but that
defeats the purpose.  I'm open to ideas here.

How about something like [PKG_]REQUIRE_EXCLUDES for packages that we don't want to require?

2. If a package is listed in REQUIRES but then cygport also finds it as
a dependency, it gets listed twice in the generated setup.hint file.

True; that's why the requires: are shown for autogenerated setup.hints, so you can detect and fix problems. I'd say just don't do that. The good news is that since we don't retest each tarball for its contents during the missing/conflicting files check anymore, rerunning 'package' isn't as expensive as it was previously.

Fair enough.

Ken