Re: Mingw64 and Cygwin: header and libs layout

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 02:36:21PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>Hi Kai,
>
>On Mar 13 14:25, Kai Tietz wrote:
>> Hi Corinna,
>>
>> I suggest the approach to install for cygwin the platform-headers to a
>> shared place.  I suggest that mingw-w64 adds to configure for headers
>> and crt an option, which installs platform-headers/libraries to
>> '/usr/shared/psdk_windows' location.  Means under this path are the
>> folders lib/lib64/include containing only the platform-parts.
>
>That sounds like an excellent idea to me!
>
>> For the cygwin-based mingw-w64 cross-compiler we need to add here by
>> spec (for headers in gcc and for libs in binutils or gcc).  IMHO this
>> should be a special configuration option for gcc (and binutils), which
>> adds the required parts to spec-files.
>
>IMHO we should keep the "w32api" scheme.  The reason is that this
>requires no changes at all to the gcc specs file.  Rather, the Cygwin
>gcc package would simply create matching symlinks:
>
>  ln -s /usr/share/windows_psdk/include /usr/include/w32api
>  ln -s /usr/share/windows_psdk/lib     /usr/lib/w32api
>  ln -s /usr/share/windows_psdk/lib64   /usr/lib64/w32api

I think it's pretty unusual to install libraries and headers in
/usr/share, particularly in the case of libraries.  gcc/linux has
conventions for this type of thing.  I broke them when I installed
headers and libraries in /usr/include/w32api.  I don't think we should
stray further by putting things in /usr/share.

Could Dave Korn weigh in on this?

cgf