Re: [ITP] xlaunch (experimental)

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 05:38:38PM +0000, Jon TURNEY wrote:

>xlaunch is a simple Windows GUI tool for starting XWin.
>
>xlaunch was written by Alexander Gottwald in 2005, and is included with the
>Xming and VcxSrvX Windows X servers (which derive from the same upstream
>sources as the cygwin X server).
>
>I'd like to package this as:
>
>- It simplifies launching the X server with custom options, avoiding the
>complex instructions in FAQ 4.2 [1].  It also avoids the forward-compatibility
>problems those instructions might have.
>
>- It also makes it possible to automate starting XWin and a remote X client
>without writing custom scripts.
>
>- It might help to make running complex desktop environments in windowed mode
>work out-of-the-box.
>
>I've done some work to make it functional on cygwin, but it probably needs a
>bit more work to be truly useful.
>
>setup.hint:
>
>category: X11
>requires: libxml2 libX11_6 libstdc++6 bash mintty keychain xorg-server
>sdesc: "GUI tool for configuring and starting the XWin X server"
>ldesc: "GUI tool for configuring and starting the XWin X server"
>
>files:
>
>http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/release/xlaunch/xlaunch-20120311-1.tar.bz2
>http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/release/xlaunch/xlaunch-20120311-1-src.tar.bz2
>
>license:
>
>Being the work of several hands, unfortunately several licenses apply to the
>source. Parts are under the X11 license, parts are under the GPLv3 license,
>and parts have been dedicated to the public domain.
>
>[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-command-line-args

As far as I'm concerned, you don't need anyone's permission to package
an Xorg-related application.  The licenses are similar to other packages
in the distro.  I did glance at the package layout and it seems fine so
feel free to upload this.  I'll bet it will save you some cygwin-xfree
irritations.

cgf