Re: [ITP] win-ssh-agent 1.07

On 11/04/2011 12:37 AM, Nayuta Taga wrote:
2011/11/4 Christopher Faylor
On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 09:52:20AM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
I'd like to package and maintain win-ssh-agent for Cygwin.

-1, for reasons below...

With the win-ssh-agent, we can use the ssh-agent (available inthe
cygwin openssh) in the more smart way.
Normally, we need to start all relevant programs, which mightneed to

I'm not sure why your mail came through so garbled, but the large number of missing spaces in your message distracts from your attempt to appear professional in offering a package.

use the ssh, as child processes of the shell(e.g. bash) in which you
eval'ed the ssh-agent. ?Because, theprograms must be able to refer to
environment variables thatset by the ssh-agent.
The win-ssh-agent enables all programs to refer to theenvironment
variables of the ssh-agent, i.e. theSSH_AUTH_SOCK. ?Now, we no longer
need to start programs aschild processes of the shell.

Example:

Consider the ntemacs ( http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/ ) .

Non-cygwin program. If someone is willing to download a non-cygwin ntemacs, then they can also download a non-cygwin win-ssh-agent.

(3) I want to use the tramp ( http://www.gnu.org/s/tramp/ ) in the
     ntemacs.  With it, I can treat documents on the remote machine
     as if they are on the local machine by:
            C-x C-f /sshx:username<at>hostname:~/remote-file

Have you tried using the emacs that ships with cygwin? It includes tramp.elc already built in, without needing a separate download. But if you are using the distro emacs, it seems like you are already okay using the distro for firing up that emacs instance, at which point I don't see a need for a gui frontend.

Unless you can give an example where an app in the cygwin distro would be benefitted by adding a gui front-end to setting up the ssh-agent, and why existing mechanisms of starting any cygwin app via a simple shell script wrapper that attaches to $HOME/.keychain/${HOSTNAME}-sh if already present, then I don't see why the cygwin distro needs win-ssh-agent. I'm not saying that win-ssh-agent is bad (on the contrary, it does seem to help your use case of ntemacs), just that since your primary use case demonstration was as a stand-alone app for helping other non-cygwin apps, and not something that fills a void for interaction with existing cygwin apps.