Re: [ITP] astrometry.net-0.38-1

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
> I don't think this is a showstopper for this release, but ordinarily
> configuration files belong in the top-level /etc directory. ?However, once
> installed there, a name like "backend.cfg" is poorly chosen, since it
> doesn't really indicate what package it belongs to, and thus might conflict
> with some other package.

Which is precisely the reason I've tried to keep everything under
paths that have "astrometry" in them; as has already been pointed out
(and as you point out below), a.n isn't really (at this point)
designed for portability and/or 3rd party vendor distribution.  I
actually shuddered when I realized there would be a "cygbackend.dll",
as it sounds ALL wrong :-)

> /usr/share/<pkg>/ is usually used for other, more extensive data files and
> support -- e.g. that's probably where your star catalog files (indexes?)
> ought to go.

Yes; indexes = star catalogs.

> Also, when I did 'make install ...' my lib/astrometry/bin directory was
> empty.

That's odd, I was building and installing it all night last night and
the folder was being updated duly.  Looking at the source package, the
Makefile seems fine (at least on that regard).

> ....so, not GTG. ?Also, you missed Corinna's statement: "If the binaries are
> using it (the libbackend library), they should also be linked against [the
> DLL], rather than being linked statically."

Oops, and roger.

> I'm trying to massage your -src package to DTRT. ?Stay tuned.

Thank you very much and sorry for the trouble I'm causing!  I'll have
another session with the package myself, paying attention to what
you've said.  Also, I guess it's about time I get in contact with an
active a.n developer to get clarification on some suspicions I've had
... but thanks again!

--
jussi