Re: setup.exe opening page graphic

On Aug 16 13:28, Warren Young wrote:

it would be fun to have a big logo
using the card box with a big 3D Cygwin C jumping out of the box on
the setup start screen.

Like this?

http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/from-box/animation.webm

If you don't have a WebM player (Firefox, Chrome, probably VLC and MPlayer...), here's the much-bigger uncompressed AVI file:

http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/from-box/animation.avi

If you don't want to add an animation to setup.exe -- which would be spiffy, IMHO -- you can pick an individual frame from that same directory on our web server. I can apply treatments like motion blur to bring back some of the feel of an animation:

http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/from-box/frame0009-mblur.png

Notice that there is no floor under the box in this still frame, and no infinite void beyond. That's the intended presentation, so it blends into the dialog background.

I can do the same for the animation, too. The environment pieces have to be there during rendering for various technical reasons that would be boring to explain. I've made masking them out after the fact possible, but at 15 fps x 1 second, it's more work than I want to go into right now for the animations and stills.

The licenses and ownership of all the pieces that went into the
rendering allow me to provide renders to the project free and clear.

Hmm. That's not exactly what I understand as free or open license.

Unless you feel the Cygwin project must have the 3D model, I don't see that it has to be purely open source itself.

The entire publishing industry is based on content licenses like the DAZ one behaving as I claim. Fonts, clipart, stock photos, etc. all depend on this sort of license.

The recycle icon on the box's front is like the hippo model: I can't
give you the vectors, but anyone with a dingbat font installed
probably has a direct substitute on hand.  I suppose it would be
legal to give out the raster texture I made from the vectors.

Is there a chance to replace that?

Okay, fine. I'm using this now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Recycling_symbol.svg

You can also find it at U+267B in some free fonts, such as DejaVu.