Re: 256x256 px icons

On Aug  6 11:47, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 6 August 2011 09:28, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Aug Â5 11:35, Warren Young wrote:
> >> However, I have made a fully rasterized, layered version compatible
> >> with Gimp for those without even Photoshop 6.0:
> >>
> >> Â Â Â http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/beveled-noshadow-rasterized.xcf
> >
> > Thank you very much. ÂI created an icon set from there. ÂThe fact that
> > everything is layered is cool. ÂYou can simply change a single aspect of
> > the picture. ÂWhat I did:
> >
> > - In general the dark shadow of the wedge became too dark (IMHO) when
> > Âresizing the image to smaller sizes. ÂThe wedge looked pretty
> > Âasymmetrically when small. ÂSo I lightend the shadow quite a bit
> > Âbefore scaling it down.cd
> >
> > - For the 256x256 icon I darkened the C stroke a bit, for 48x48 and below
> > ÂI used an entirely white stroke before scaling down.
> >
> > - For the 256x256 icon I kept the dark outer glow, for the smaller sizes
> > ÂI removed it.
>
> Makes sense. If the outline needs to be any brighter, it would need to
> be thickened before scaling down.
>
> > The 16x16 icon looks blurry when magnified to 800% in gimp, but I'm
> > surprised how good it looks in normal 100%.
>
> I agree.
>
> > Is that one ok as default Cygwin icon?
>
> I think so.
>
> > I'm going to work on the terminal icon based on Andy's blank-terminal
> > icons and this beveled icon next, as well as on a new setup "box" icon.
>
> Looking forward to those. I seem to be in a minority of one regarding
> the logo-in-terminal approach, so I withdraw my objection to that.

The terminal icon is attached to this mail.  Downscaling the C to 18x18
and pasting it into the 32x32 terminal outline was a waste of time.
For 32x32 I now created a C pixel by pixel so that it looks good on
the XP desktop.  For 24x24 and 16x16 I used the standalone C from my
previous icon set as fallback.

Now for the setup icon...