Re: 256x256 px icons

You say you already have created such icon files before. Would you have fun to create a new "official" cygwin.ico?

Here you go:

http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/mintty-icon/combined.ico

That file contains a 256 px 32 bpp (RGBA) Vista (PNG) icon plus standard BMP icons in 48 px 32 bpp, 32 px 8 bpp, 24 px 8 bpp, and 16 px 8 bpp sizes and depths. If you look at the directory view, you can see the source files that went into this.

I used the icobundl tool from

http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/ICOBundle

to assemble combined.ico.

I'm willing to keep playing with this a bit more. Points of discussion:

- Do we need more sizes? I've seen reference to odd sizes like 64x64 and 96x96, but surely we can trust Vista+ to scale the 256x256 to these sizes without needing hand-tweaked versions?

- Something I read talked about the 16x16 being 4bpp, but I can't see a need for that since the the old Windows 95 Plus Pack days. Everything from Win98 up should actually be fine with 16bpp and up. The only reason I used 8bpp for the smallest ones is that's a big enough box of crayons.

- There are two source icon files. full-size.png is pretty much what I linked to yesterday as mintty-icon-glowy-wedge.png, with some minor tweaks. high-contrast is a variant of this with higher contrast, needed when scaling to smaller sizes.

- The 16, 24 and 32 px versions are pretty heavily hand-tweaked after they were scaled down from high-contrast.png. Acceptable, or more tweaking needed?

The only problem to look out for is licensing.  If you use foreign
art, you have to make sure that the icon is published under a free
license.

There are two source pieces, the fattbuttlary Cygwin icon and the KDE Konsole icon. I assembled and massaged them on work time. Red Hat has a copyright assignment on file for me, from way back.