Re: 256x256 px icons

This discussion reminds me of the new icon format in Vista, which support icons of up to 256x256 bytes in PNG format.

Pixels, not bytes, unless you were thinking about 8 bpp paletted images.

I don't see -- in the almost nonexistent docs -- that windres actually supports PNG icons. windres.exe isn't linked to cygpng*.dll on my system, so if it does support PNG icons, it must do so only by blindly copying the PNG data into the COFF file.

Is that something we should add, too?

The only time I've found where I can tell that a program has a high-res icon is by looking at the blue info bar at the bottom of Explorer windows. A little poking around suggests that at least 64x64 is useful with the default bar size. You can resize it to make Explorer use a larger icon, if available, but I doubt many ever do that.

For XP support, we still need to ship 32x32 and 48x48 pixel icons.