Re: setup and mintty (was Re: New setup.exe release?)

On May 26 12:33, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 26 May 2011 09:07, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On May 26 08:00, Andy Koppe wrote:
> >> - Offer the start menu item creation unless either "Console" or
> >> "Terminal" is present in the Cygwin folder. If requested, remove
> >> "Cygwin Bash Shell" and create "Console" and "Terminal". (Add "Cygwin"
> >> prefixes according to taste. I think anyone who moves the shortcuts
> >> elsewhere would be quite capable of renaming them if they feel the
> >> need to.)
> > [...]
> > If we really do that, the name of the console entry should be last, and
> > ugly, so that people choose the "Cygwin Terminal" entry with a higher
> > probability. Â "Windows Console window with a bash within, only use if
> > you must" or something.
>
> :)
>
> That's possibly worse and certainly uglier than not having it at all,
> so let's leave it.
>
> On a closely related note, there's the issue of the mintty postinstall
> script. Simply dropping the "mintty" shortcut creation when setup.exe
> is changed would mean that the shortcut would disappear without
> replacement for people updating with a not-quite-up-to-date setup.exe
> or who habitually untick the "Add start menu item" checkbox.
>
> Therefore I think I should change the postinstall script such that it
> continues to create the "mintty" shortcut, but only if "Cygwin
> Terminal" isn't there. However, since setup.exe creates its shortcuts
> *after* running the postinstall script, people would end up with both
> "mintty" and "Cygwin Terminal" until the mintty package is next
> updated. Avoiding that requires setup.exe to nuke the "mintty"
> shortcut when it creates "Cygwin Terminal".

Hmm.

That begs for the question why the start menu entry isn't managed
entirely by mintty's postinstall/preremove scripts.  In theory we can
reduce setup to ask for the desktop icon.  The start menu entry is
always created, and it's always created by mintty.  That would make the
entire affair much easier, isn't it?