Re: [ITP] slang-2.2.2

On 13 November 2010 14:03, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> > S-Lang is a multi-platform programmer's library
>> designed to allow a developer to create robust
>> multi-platform software. It provides facilities required by
>> interactive applications such as display/screen management,
>> keyboard input, keymaps, and so on.
>> >

>> > The directory structure is similar to debian one.
>> > With slsh (S-lang Shell) in it own binary package
>> >
>> > to download:
>> >
>> > wget -r -np -nH --cut-dirs=2 http://matzeri.altervista.org/cygwin-1.7/slang/
>> >

>> > libslang-devel/libslang-devel-2.2.2-1.tar.bz2
>> > libslang-devel/setup.hint
>> > libslang2/libslang2-2.2.2-1.tar.bz2
>> > libslang2/setup.hint
>> > setup.hint
>> > slang-2.2.2-1-src.tar.bz2
>> > slang-2.2.2-1.tar.bz2
>> > slsh/setup.hint
>> > slsh/slsh-2.2.2-1.tar.bz2
>
> About the package size, slang is a library so
> slang-2.2.2-1.tar.bz2 is empty as there are no
> utilities associated to put in the slang package.

Ah, makes sense.

> There are also other packages built in this way:
>
> slang-2.2.2-1-src.tar.bz2         source package name as upstream
> slang-2.2.2-1.tar.bz2             empty package
> libslang2-2.2.2-1.tar.bz2         dll package
> libslang-devel-2.2.2-1.tar.bz2    development package

Packaging looks ok as far as I could see, except:

- The source package README should mention libonig-devel as a build dependency

- I don't like the sdescs, because "multi-platform programmer's
library" applies to almost every library in the distro. Also, there
are some extraneous spaces in the sdescs. And for similar library
packages, the type of package is usually given in parentheses. So how
about:

slang: "S-Lang interpreter library (source)"
libslang2: "S-Lang interpreter library (runtime)"
libslang-devel: "S-Lang interpreter library (development)"
slsh: "S-Lang shell"

Also, how about nicking the first paragraph off the slang.org site for
the ldescs?

"S-Lang is a multi-platform programmer's library designed to allow a
developer to create robust multi-platform software. It provides
facilities required by interactive applications such as display/screen
management, keyboard input, keymaps, and so on. The most exciting
feature of the library is the slang interpreter that may be easily
embedded into a program to make it extensible."

In any case, it all built fine from the source package, and slrn built
fine with it installed.

Andy