Re: gcc4: next release (Dave Korn we need you)

On Jul  7 18:24, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 06:12:23PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >On 7/7/2010 5:03 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >> or as a cross-compiler.
> >
> >Huh?  Do you mean that we use cygwin's gcc as a code generator, and turn
> >off everything that makes it "cygwin":
>
> I mean that *I* build the DLL with a cross compiler based on the
> released version of gcc.

Yes, me too.  I hate to say that but it is faster than building on
Cygwin...

> [...]
> Whether we use w32api in the cygwin tree or from somewhere else really
> doesn't matter as long as Cygwin builds.

That's why I'd like to know if Cygwin builds with w32api from the
mingw64 project.

Even after a night's sleep I still don't like the idea to hvae two
versions of w32api in the distro.  To me, w32api belongs into
/usr/include.  One version for everybody.  w32api is *not* cross
compiler specific, it's a resource for all three targets, Cygwin as
well as 32 bit and 64 bit Mingw.

However, I won't object against having a version for the 64 bit gcc
hidden in the cross-compiler tree, if there's no way around it.
But *if* there's a way to keep just a single version, it should be
exploited.