Re: mintty/Windows interoperability

On 4 June 2010 06:02, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 02:14:29PM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>>I'm asking if mintty currently supports more MS-DOS apps than it did
>>when it first came out a couple of years ago. ÂIf so, I assume it does
>>so because it does more work to convince those apps that everything is
>>as expected.
>
> I think you're really missing something basic here. ÂI'll say it again.
> The problem with MS-DOS apps is with Cygwin's implementation of ptys.
> If mintty were to work around that it would be subverting Cygwin's pty
> layer which would be a bad thing.

Just to confirm: mintty does no such thing, and I don't know what it
could be doing. All it sees is a file descriptor for reading and
writing the pty device, so it doesn't even know what sort of process
it's talking to.

I think any solution to this issue should be done as a standalone
wrapper that needs to be invoked explicitly, at least initially. If it
proved itself, it would be worth considering to invoke it
automatically from the Cygwin DLL when a Windows program is spawned.

Andy