Re: default terminal

On 2 June 2010 21:39, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 02.06.2010 15:30, schrieb Dave Korn:
>> Â We already get plenty of questions about the difference between a
>> console
>> and a terminal. ÂDon't think it'll be any different really. ÂLet's call
>> the
>> shortcuts "Cygwin Console" and "Cygwin GUI Terminal", and then people will
>> think it's obvious why there's two of them.
>
> Apart from its configuration menu, mintty isn't really more of "GUI" than
> the console; also I don't think that would answer those questions.

Fair point. (And of course the console has an options dialog too.)

> (There
> used to be a project to add graphics to an xterm clone - maybe another
> challenge for Andy...?)

You mean the Tektronix stuff? No, thanks. The three people who do
still need that are all happy with xterm. ;)

(Graphical applications should of course be using X. Say what you like
about the X protocol, but at least it doesn't suffer from terminal
escape sequences.)

Andy