Re: default terminal

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 14:30:52 +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>   We already get plenty of questions about the difference between a
> console and a terminal.  Don't think it'll be any different really.
> Let's call the shortcuts "Cygwin Console" and "Cygwin GUI Terminal",
> and then people will think it's obvious why there's two of them.

KISS: having two options *will* lead to confusion.  Whenever mintty
becomes the default Cygwin shell, then the default Cygwin shortcuts
should point to "mintty -", period.

Another side effect of switching to mintty is the (lack of) need for
CYGWIN=tty. This option has lead to much confusion in the past, and
with mintty it will no longer be necessary.  It might be a bit too WJM
to outright remove it, but at a minimum the documentation will need to
be updated and possibly the option renamed so that it is obvious that
it should not be used.

Yaakov