Re: [ITP] lzip-1.8-1

On 11/7/2009 23:29, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 12:28:52PM +0800, JonY wrote:
Hi,
Lzip is a lossless data compressor based on the LZMA algorithm.

It is in Ubuntu:<http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/lzip>

The files are under<http://www.cadforte.com/cygwin-uploader/>.
Unfortunately, its not browsable, here is the file list.

\---lzip
         lzip-1.8-1-src.tar.bz2
         lzip-1.8-1.tar.bz2
         setup.hint

Example:<http://www.cadforte.com/cygwin-uploader/lzip/setup.hint>

Homepage:<http://www.nongnu.org/lzip/lzip.html>

category: Archive
requires: cygwin libgcc1 libstdc++6
sdesc: "Lossless data compressor based on the LZMA algorithm."
ldesc: "lossless data compressor based on the LZMA algorithm, with very
  safe integrity checking and a user interface similar to the one of
  gzip or bzip2."

We already have xz. Why do we need this?

cgf

Hi,

lzip and xz are not exactly compatible.

I find that xz has somewhat better compression ratios but lzip has an archive recovery utility.