Re: 1.7 installation failed (on network drive?)

Dave Korn wrote:
Thomas Wolff wrote:
I wanted to install 1.7 on another machine, target directory H:\cygwin, but it failed with the attached error.

Handy hint for next time: Did you know you can copy and paste most windows
popup error dialogs? Just press Ctrl+C while the dialog is selected, and then
when you paste it into your text file you'll see something like:
Didn't know, thanks; I always thought it was an annoyance you can't select with the mouse there.

  As to your actual problem, dunno.  I think it ought to work but maybe you
had a transient network failure?
No, tried several times, different days. Drive access OK otherwise.

What happens if you try manually to create a
file of that name and path? What kind of network drive is it anyway?

Normal Windows mount of an NTFS drive. Windows is XP Prof.
So I tried to create the dir with quite weird results:
In one case, I got some kind of "permission denied" error, in another the dir. was created but all "%" followed by a single letter were left out, like:
httpaffftp-...
instead of the usual
http%3a%2f%2fftp-...

Obviously there was a confusion between cygwin mkdir and Windows mkdir, and Windows .bat file handling calling mkdir, since "%..." is the DOS/Windows variable syntax. But that should not occur from within setup.exe, unless it would call an external mkdir program for whatever reason.

By the way, installation to a local drive worked on that machine, it's a mystery.

This reminds me of another weird effect I had on another machine (XP Home):
While running setup.exe (1.7) there, around the end of installing a package, the following directories are created:
/E/cygwin/%SystemDrive%/Dokumente und Einstellungen/towo/Anwendungsdaten/Microsoft/SystemCertificates/My/Certificates
/E/cygwin/%SystemDrive%/Dokumente und Einstellungen/towo/Anwendungsdaten/Microsoft/SystemCertificates/My/CRLs
/E/cygwin/%SystemDrive%/Dokumente und Einstellungen/towo/Anwendungsdaten/Microsoft/SystemCertificates/My/CTLs

What's the unresolved Windows variable name %SystemDrive% got to do within setup.exe? And what's setup.exe got to try in those directories anyway?
Again, maybe it's calling some external program for some purpose and gets the wrong version?

Thomas