Re: Avoiding the final setup.exe page

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> People have complained about the final setup.exe page which asks about
> creating an icon, etc.  What's the best way to stop that page from
> showing up every time you run setup.exe?  Should it only be asked on the
> very first installation (easy) or should there be a "Don't ask this
> question again" (harder)?
>
> And, if that page goes away, should setup.exe just exit when it is
> done or should it still have something that you click?

  We have to have /some/ kind of final page to let people know that setup
completed successfully, if it just suddenly exits it will look like it might
have crashed.  Given that, it's just common sense to put those buttons onto it.

  I think the buttons should behave like one-shots, I don't think they should
remember their settings, and I think they should default on for a first
install only.

  Also I think the complaints would probably go away if we relaid-out that
page so that the main central area was just a "Congrats, setup completed OK"
message and the buttons were small and out of the way in the lower part of the
page somewhere, rather than being the central focus of the page.  That way
people wouldn't feel they were being put through an extra unnecessary step
just to be presented with a couple of options they probably don't want 99% of
the time; they'd just feel that they were being presented with a completion
screen.  (We could even add a "Launch Cygwin now" tickbox under the "completed
ok" message if we wanted to really try and manipulate people's subconscious
it more familiar and they'll not feel uncomfortable when they encounter it.)

    cheers,
      DaveK