Re: [ITP] python-cairo

On 04/09/2009 15:37, Charles Wilson wrote:
I notice that you do not include the documentation. If this is
intentional, then you should probably update the Cygwin README to point
to its canonical web location:
http://cairographics.org/documentation/pycairo/

Alternatively, add
http://www.cairographics.org/releases/${PN}-${PV}-docs-html.tar.gz as an
additional SRC_URI, install them, and add a -doc package.  Dealer's choice.

I have updated the webpage in the README to the pycairo's page on cairographics.org, which has a link. pycairo 1.8.8 was just released, so I'll include that when I ship that update.

However: the upstream README claims:

Dependencies
------------
     cairo>= 1.8.6
     Python>= 2.6

while the cygwin README says:

Runtime requirements:
   python-2.5.4-10

As you saw yourself, it builds and works just fine with 2.5, and I have yet to find an explanation for why the requirement was bumped to 2.6. Debian also ships this for 2.5 using a different patch (they build with distutils, I build with autotools).

But the worst part of it is, the only version of python available from
release-2 is 2.5.2-1.  What's the deal?

Ports has provided a python package for a while, the primary difference being that Tkinter uses Ports' *NIX/X11 Tcl/Tk instead of the distro's Win32 version. This doesn't affect anything Python related that I'm trying to ship in the distro.

Thanks for the review.

Yaakov