Re: std::arg() bug : not repetitive ?

--- Gio 3/9/09, Dave Korn  ha scritto:

> Da: Dave Korn
> Oggetto: Re: std::arg() bug : not repetitive ?
> A: cygwin-apps cygwin.com
> Data: Giovedì 3 settembre 2009, 06:07
> Brian Ford wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> >
> >> I have no clue if -march=pentium4 is acceptable
> for AMD cpu's.
> >
> > FWIW, we have been using -march=pentium4 -mfpmath=sse
> successfully in a
> > very large software project since November 2003
> without incident.? We have
> > run on AMD Opterons and a variety of Intel processors
> without issue
> > (given that they were at least Pentium 4's, of
> course).
> >

> In http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0904.2/00818.html
> it is
> argued that:
>
> > Nvidia started requiring SSE in their binary drivers,
> but have since
> > backed out that requirement, so it is possible to make
> people realize
> > their code has unreasonable requirements.
>
> ? If we turn on SSE in the distro, we block anyone
> using Pentium2 or early
> (pre-XP) Athlon CPUs from using Cygwin.? I think that
> might be a step too far.
>  In the place where I was working until only last November,
> we had a ton of
> old P2 boxes around the place, doing useful jobs, and they
> all had Cygwin on
> them.? It would have crippled us if we suddenly had to
> upgrade them all one day.
>
> ? OTOH maybe we could hack up a software SSE emulation
> for those users...
>
> ? ? cheers,
> ? ? ? DaveK

Hi Dave,

I am trying to convince octave developers to add
an additional z1!=z2 before the comparison of
abs(z1) < abs(z2) and
arg(z1) < arg(z2).

This should resolve the truncation problem of arg and abs
when comparing two equal complex numbers.

Eventually I will add that only for cygwin,
it seems simpler than non standard arch settings
for the package.

Thanks
Marco