Re: std::arg() bug : not repetitive ?

Brian Ford wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>
>> I have no clue if -march=pentium4 is acceptable for AMD cpu's.
>
> FWIW, we have been using -march=pentium4 -mfpmath=sse successfully in a
> very large software project since November 2003 without incident.  We have
> run on AMD Opterons and a variety of Intel processors without issue
> (given that they were at least Pentium 4's, of course).

In http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0904.2/00818.html it is
argued that:

> Nvidia started requiring SSE in their binary drivers, but have since
> backed out that requirement, so it is possible to make people realize
> their code has unreasonable requirements.

  If we turn on SSE in the distro, we block anyone using Pentium2 or early
(pre-XP) Athlon CPUs from using Cygwin.  I think that might be a step too far.
 In the place where I was working until only last November, we had a ton of
old P2 boxes around the place, doing useful jobs, and they all had Cygwin on
them.  It would have crippled us if we suddenly had to upgrade them all one day.

  OTOH maybe we could hack up a software SSE emulation for those users...

    cheers,
      DaveK