Re: Start menu shortcuts

On 8/18/2009 10:46 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
Is there a policy about which packages are allowed to create start menu shortcuts? Recent discussion about run.exe on the main cygwin list makes me think it would be useful for the emacs-X11 package to create a shortcut for starting emacs under X. I would do this by putting the following in the postinstall script:

/usr/bin/mkdir -p "$(/usr/bin/cygpath -AP)/Cygwin-X"
/usr/bin/mkshortcut -AP \
    -n Cygwin-X/emacs \
    -w /usr/bin \
    -i /usr/share/emacs/23.1/etc/emacs.ico \
    -a '-p /usr/bin bash -l -c "emacs --display=127.0.0.1:0"' \
  /usr/bin/run.exe

Is this appropriate or does it violate some guidelines?

I just realized that the X-start-menu-icons package already provides an emacs shortcut, so my question is irrelevant. But emacs started by the shortcut in that package doesn't work right because the PATH isn't set up correctly. (For example, if you try to list the current directory with C-x d, you get an error "ls not found".) So it should either be fixed as above or removed from X-start-menu-icons, in which case I'll add it to emacs-X11.

Ken