Re: setup.exe and release messages

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 03:51:31PM -0400, Ralph Hempel wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> I've been thinking about adding some way of reviewing documentation from
>> setup.exe, just like every other installer in the world.  But, that's not
>> quite what you're talking about.  I think you want to display something
>> before the user makes a decision.
>
>What about the four people in the world that use the command-line
>options to setup.exe ?
>
>Do we need to add a new option to put those messages into a
>release notes file somewhere?

Or they just get displayed to stdout via less unless some other option
is specified.

Or they are part of the standard /usr/share/doc hierarchy.

>While it's not as manly as entering code using front panel switches,

There's no need to be contemptuously sarcastic.

>I often do a download to local filesystem, then install from local
>filesystem.  I'm not sure why anymore.

There's still a setup.ini to use in that scenario.  You wouldn't want
setup to be accessing the network during a "local install".

>>We could add this to the setup.ini file and make it per-package so that
>>caveats or announcements show up on the next screen after the packages
>>are selected.
>
>And when a major change happens, the user has to click though n>9
>dialog boxes saying
>
>"Pay Attention - if you blindly click through this dialog box an angry
>hippo will eat your mount points and you'll have to come crawling to
>the mailing list to find out why"

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to force people to click
through important notifications.  I wouldn't like it personally because,
when I'm not toggling, I am reading the cygwin mailing list and am aware
of important changes.  So I'd probably add an option and then sigh
dramatically and publicly when people ask how to avoid these messages.

>> The other thing I've always thought about is adding a way to display
>> the cygwin-announce messages in setup.exe so that people could know
>> the reason for a change.
>
>Maybe upgrading packages should be more complicated so that
>users would read the manual. Or maybe not upgrade as often.

I think you're being contemptuous again.

cgf