Re: [RFU 1.7] {emacs,emacs-X11,emacs-el}-23.0.92-1

Ken Brown wrote:
On 5/14/2009 5:57 PM, Mark Harig wrote:
In case you were unaware, Emacs version 23.0.93.1 (pre-release test) has been
available for a few weeks. It might be worth considering providing both 23.0.92
and 23.0.93 so that you can work out how to maintain two versions: "stable" and "unstable"
(not that .92 is more stable than .93).

Yes, I knew about 23.0.93. I built it for myself and have been using it, just to make sure there were no regressions. If 23.0.92 proves stable enough to be promoted to current, then I'll think about doing something like what you suggested. But let's wait and see what happens when it gets released and people start using it. The transition from 21.2 to 23.0 might take some time for people to adapt to. Emacs 21.2 was released 7 years ago, and there's been quite a bit of development since then.

Ken

People who are willing to use the not-yet-released Cygwin 1.7 and the not-yet-released Emacs 23 ought to be expecting some instability.

Alternatively, if Emacs 22.3 does not have compilation problems
with Cygwin 1.7, then it could be provided as the "Curr" version,
and one or more versions of Emacs 23 could be provided as "Exp."
In addition, providing more versions might help in your supporting
Emacs -- if someone has a problem with one version of Emacs, then
one troubleshooting strategy would be to have the user reproduce
the problem on a later or earlier version.  If the problem disappears,
then you have narrowed down the source of the problem.