Re: Question: Desired owner/group when running setup-1.7.exe

On Apr 20 17:38, Julio Costa wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 14:58, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Here's another simple approach:
> >
> > ?Keep all ownership as it is. ?Just add an ACE for the administrators
> > ?group with rw- access rights to the ACL of files created/unpacked by
> > ?setup.
> >

> I like that one too.
> Maybe even more simple would be to assign that ACE to the cygwin root,
> in the first install, and let it be inherited throughout all cygwin
> tree.

No, we don't inherit.  The idea is to use POSIX semantics in the first
place, not Windows semantics.

> PS: It really should be rwx, right?

Not really.  The execute permssion would be determined by group and
other permissions.

Oh well, the longer I think about it, the less necessary this all gets
in my mind.  Given the way Cygwin opens files, all administrative users
will have read/write permissions on all files anyway, just like your
average "root" account.  There should be not the faintest reason to
add explicit permissions for administrative users.

The longer I think about this the more sense makes solution 2:

  If the current user is an administrative user, make "Administrators"
  the group of the files:

    owner: Current user.
    group: Administrators.

This reflects default POSIX permissions on the non-user files in a
Cygwin installation most closely.