Re: Bug in upset? [Was: Re: R: Problem [1.7]: link /bin/lzma -> xz]

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 08:29:33AM -0500, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>Isn't it a good time to split the release and release-2 areas into two
>>separate directories?  Now that many maintainers create separate
>>packages for 1.5 and 1.7, updating 1.5 and 1.7 directories and always
>>having to delete the 1.5 stuff from the 1.7 release-2 directory
>>afterwards is troublesome and bound to produce mistakes.  And the union
>>of the two directories makes increasingly less sense.
>
>+1

For my packages, I still want the convenience of the unionfs.

I would think that, as 1.7 approaches, there would be fewer packages
released for 1.5 so this wouldn't be a real problem.  However, if a
maintainer doesn't want their directory to mirror the 1.5 release they
can just remove the directory in release-2 and recreate it with whatever
they want in it.  That will stop the mirroring.

I've just done this for lzma to prove that it works and it does.

But then, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to be doing much package
reorganization in 1.5 since it is approaching the end of its life.  When
we shuffle things around in the 1.5 release we increase the possibility
of annoying support problems when 1.7 is released.

IMO, we should be moving towards stabilization of the 1.5 package base
and the 1.7 Cygwin DLL code base.  I don't see either of those happening
right now, though.

cgf