Re: New Setup for Cygwin 1.7 on cygwin.com

On Aug 21 11:37, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 05:20:41PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >> Unless:
> >>
> >>   1) all of _update-info-dir's dependencies are already satisfied by the
> >> Base category
> >>
> >> or
> >>
> >>   2) we carefully map the dependency chains of the basic system-setup
> >> packages (cygwin, base-*, a few more?) and deliberately exclude them
> >> from getting _update-info-dir added to their dependency list.
> >>
> >> or
> >>
> >>   3) somehow add a priority scheme to postinstall scripts, so that in
> >> the event of a cycle, setup "starts" traversing the dependency loop at
> >> the package with the highest priority.
> >>
> >> In order of least effort to most, I'd vote #1...
> >
> >Full ACK.
>
> If only this was a democracy.

???

> I've made the change I mentioned.  Neither bash nor texinfo rely on
> _update-info-dir.

I don't think this is the right solution.  How does that help with other
loops?  I only checked packages which were in front of the cygwin
package in the dependency order for a plain Base install.  The list of
dependencies for a full install is much bigger.

You're fixing single symptoms, rather than taking out the core problem.