Re: New Setup for Cygwin 1.7 on cygwin.com

On Aug 20 19:48, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug 20 12:48, Charles Wilson wrote:
> > Brian Dessent wrote:
> > > For these core packages that are in Base
> > > it doesn't really matter that their "requires:" line accurately lists
> > > each thing they need, because they're all getting installed anyway.
> >
> > Then it's easy.
> >
> > cygwin: requires base-*
> > base-*: no requires at all [*]
> >
> > No other changes. The end.
>
> That's (alomst) exactly as I did it in release-2.  Just additionally
>
>   base-passwd requires: base-cygwin

All we did the last couple of days seems to have helped only marginally,
if at all.  This morning I ran a 1.7 Base install from scratch, and the
dependency order is still as screwed up as before:

  warning: LOG: 1 Dependency order of packages: libintl3 texinfo
  _update-info-dir gawk tzcode libiconv2 coreutils terminfo libncurses8
  libreadline6 bash base-cygwin base-passwd cygwin libintl8 alternatives
  ash findutils sed base-files libbz2_1 bzip2 libpopt0 cygutils groff
  gzip termcap libpcre0 less man cygwin-doc editrights grep ipc-utils
  login rebase run tar which

I followed through the dependencies using a pencil and a sheet of paper
(sorry Dave ;))  and from what I can tell there are two dependency
loops which break the entire dependency order:

  bash    <-> _update_info_dir
  texinfo <-> _update_info_dir

All other dependencies are looking sound from what I can tell.

So, I would like to propose to remove the "requires: bash texinfo" line
from _update_info_dir's setup.hint file.  It appears that these
requirements break the whole ordering.  Maybe we should simply
replace it with "requires: cygwin" instead.

Chris?