RE: New Setup for Cygwin 1.7 on cygwin.com

Corinna Vinschen wrote on 15 August 2008 15:12:

> Yuk!  Would it help if the base-* packages have no dependencies at all
> and cygwin itself depends on the base-* packages?  How would that change
> your graph (and, can you create it for the release-2 dir, please?)

  Still not got a lot of time right now, but here's the script that makes
dotty output.  (Don't try sending .dot files to the lists, BTW - the spam
filter thinks they're MS Word template files!  Fortunately the extension
isn't meaningful to graphviz anyway.)

  You'll find it generates a HUUUUuuuuuge graph that's very hard to manage -
too big for the jpg renderer, as a png it crashed my viewer, and by the time
you've blown enough of it up to read the labels you can hardly see what's
what.  I manually extracted a subgraph by copying bits of text from the
script-generated file into a fresh file.  Each package comes as a separate
hunk with its dependencies listed, so I took a few of the low-level packages
(such as cygwin and base-files), then iteratively copied the hunks for all
the dependencies they listed, until there were no unsatisfied dependencies
left in the new graph.  It didn't take long to do, so I didn't bother
scripting it, but it could easily be added as a feature.

    cheers,
      DaveK