Re: New Setup for Cygwin 1.7 on cygwin.com

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 01:23:38PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>According to Corinna Vinschen on 8/13/2008 4:20 AM:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just uploaded a new setup-1.7.exe to install Cygwin 1.7.
>>
>> You can find it here:  http://cygwin.com/setup-1.7.exe
>
>Any reason this version insists on maximizing itself when going to the
>package selection screen, rather than remaining at the size of the
>previous screen?

Yep.  It's a feature designed to allow you to see all of the package
information.  I prefer this to manual resizing from the 640x480 size
every time.  Of course, you can always just click on the button in the
upper right corner of the screen if it bothers you.

I played around with just making all of the screens 1024x768 but I no
longer have a graphical way of handling dialog boxes and moving controls
around on the dialog boxes turned out to be quite tedious.  Since we're
using a property sheet there doesn't seem to be any easy way to make one
screen larger than the ones that preceded it.

My internal cygwin mailing list simulator also convinced me that there
would be an eventual complaint from someone with a small screen so it
seemed like maximizing this screen was the best compromise as it is
really the only screen that suffers from a small size, unless you want
to type in a really long path for your cygwin root.

The other change that I made was to have setup.exe check for last-*
(last-action, last-cache, etc.) information first from the download
directory and then from the etc directory.  Checking the closest
directory first seems to make more sense and I need this for another
project that I'm working on.  I hope that no one would actually notice
this change.  My internal simulator hasn't set off any alarms but
I guess we'll see.

cgf