Re: base-[files|password] for 1.7

On Jul 29 10:35, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> From: "Corinna Vinschen"
> | I thought it's a good idea to have the domain by default.  It's a bit
> | strange that a machine is running in a domain but as soon as another
> | user logs in, the passwd and possibly group information for this user
> | is missing.
>
> Well yes, I don't recall what the complaints were about.
> Perhaps long delays.
> But it caused problems to NEW cygwin users installing for the first
> time and without visibility or knowledge into what's happening.

That would have required a decision when to call mkpasswd -d in the
postinstall script.  I don't recall that we ever did that.

> |  I don't think it makes
> | sense to run mkgroup in a domain environment without fetching all
> | domain groups.
>
> Agreed, but it's done under user control.

Just so that the group file doesn't get too big?

> | Not for -c, but in the default case it will take some time until it
> | times out and won't print the domain groups.  Since that's only an
> | actual issue at installation time, where's the problem?
>
> Not sure what the old complaints were about...
> Do you expect the user and primary group to be put in passwd/group in that case?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  If we run mkpasswd/mkgroup
without arguments, you get local accounts on a non-domain machine
and domain accounts on a domain member machine.  Doesn't that make
the most sense?

> | > I also noticed that the new mkpasswd -c does not put a guess about the full user name
> | > in the comment field
> | > old -c:
> | > p-humblet:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:11068:11031:p-humblet,U-W...
> | > new -c
> | > p-humblet:unused:11068:11031: U-W...         <== no p-humblet
> | > {old,new} -d
> | > p-humblet:unused:11068:11031:Pierre Humblet,U-W...
> |
> | Why do you need that?
>
> No idea why it was done like that in the first place :)
> Does it work for domain users in absence of a server?

No.  This information is only available from NetUserEnum/NetUserGetInfo
calls and those require DC access.