Re: New Cygwin 1.7.0-18 in release-2

On Thu, July 24, 2008 10:08 am, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jul 23 21:44, John Morrison wrote:
>> On Wed, July 23, 2008 7:00 pm, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> > I'd be happy if even the most important packages have been rebuilt for
>> > 1.7.  So far the reactions from the package maintainers were somewhat
>> > reticent.
>>
>> I think that'll probably alter once there's a setup for 1.7.  Speaking
>> personally I *need* my installation of cygwin and couldn't stand to be
>> without it.  (I will get 'round to patching the base packages, but I
>> was/did hand these over to Igor; is he still around?)
>
> Igor is still around, yes.  I didn't know (or forgot again) you handed
> over maintainership of the base packages.  Igor?
>
>> X under 1.7 is a requirement for me.  Just wish I had the skills to get
>> the latest version working.

>> Once X works, that works for me :)
>
> Why is X so important for testing and building packages?

testing and building no, but I suspect that for most maintainers (at least
those with only one or two packages) the package is a 'thank you' back to
cygwin for the environment so the stability of the environment is very
important.  I know that's why I started with the base- packages, 'cause I
wanted to improve the 'out of the box' experience.

> I mean,
> the console window and rxvt exist, right?  Personally I'm doing a lot
> in my Linux X console, connecting to my Windows machines via rdesktop
> and ssh in an xterm.  Btw., since 1.5 and 1.7 can co-exist running in
> different directories, there should be no problem running 1.7 based
> rxvt/xterm in a 1.5 X server.

I didn't know that.

>> (attempting to find some time!)
>
> Please with sugar?

I only have windows at work now and all my time is 'allocated' to
projects... trying!  If I don't get it done before the weekend I'll get a
virtual machine running.  Promise.

J.