Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> it just occured to me that I need the exact key name which setup will
> use to store the root directory of the installation.  I nedd it to get
> cygcheck working, even if it's not installed into the same path as the
> Cygwin DLL.
>
>   "{HKLM,HKCU}\Software\Cygwin\???"
>
> ??? = "Setup\root" maybe?  Or with a version number?

A good question.  I haven't implemented anything yet, so we can choose
whatever we want.  I wonder if it's really necessary to have a whole
subkey for this since at the moment there is only the one value that
setup will read.  How about simply "\Software\Cygwin\rootdir"?

That reminds me of something... I've always been a bit annoyed that
people always resort to manually editing the registry to remove Cygwin,
when umount is the documented and preferred method.  But now, we will
have no such utility to suggest and so to remove Cygwin the user will be
forced to use regedit.  Combined with the fact that most users trip over
the fact that sometimes ACLs on files like /var/log/sshd.log require
them to take ownership before deleting, I would like to be able to offer
an uninstaller.  This would handle checking for running Cygwin processes
and prompting to exit them (or terminating them), stopping and
uninstalling all Cygwin services, deleting the entire Cygwin tree,
removing start menu and desktop icons, removing everything from the
registry, and whatever else is necessary.  It would be the nuclear
option, deleting without remorse all traces with one click; I think
users want this.  It would of course be a standalone MinGW app like
setup.exe, except that it would get installed somewhere in the tree, and
added to the add/remove applet.  Anyway, SHTDI and everything but I just
want to float the idea to gauge response.

Brian