Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> When I start setup-1.7, it seems to find the already existing c:/cygwin
> installation.  Even though I choose "C:/cygwin-2" as installation path,
> the new setup-2.ini content is compared against the already existing
> installation.  The result is that setup-1.7 offers to install only
> the single changed package:  cygwin itself.

Right, it reads /etc/setup/installed.db (where /etc is derived from the
mount table) to see what the current versions are.

> Why is setup using the information from the existing installation
> even if I choose to install into another directory?  Is it because
> the mount points in the registry are looked at?  That's not correct
> anymore, given that the registry mount points are not used for the
> new installation anyway.
>
> Is it possible to change setup so that it ignores the registry mount
> points?  And it must nort write new ones either, btw...

Oh.  Teaching it not to read or write to the mount table in the registry
is going to be a lot more work than just telling it to read a different
.ini file.  I'll see what I can do, but until then I think we'll just
have to tell people to do the switching manually (mount -m/umount -A).

Brian