Re: [ITA] libXft/libXft2/libXft-devel-2.1.7: A client-side font API for X applications

"Dr. Volker Zell" wrote:

> This package likes to install the header files to
>
>   /usr/include/X11/Xft/*.h
>
> xorg-x11-devel installs a symlink
>
>   /usr/include/X11 -> ../X11R6/include/X11
>
> Given that the X11 hierarchy is deprecated, I like to remove this
> symlink in a preremove script.

broken.  How are you supposed to compile any X11 apps after installing
this package, without manually adding -I/usr/X11R6/include/X11 to
CPPFLAGS?  Simply installing libXft-devel causes all the X11 headers to
no longer work, because the only thing left under /usr/include/X11 is
now Xft/.

It doesn't make any sense to try to deprecate the X11R6 tree until we
actually have working xorg-* packages that use the new layout.  libXft
should not and does not "own" /usr/include/X11, so it's very surprising
that installing an ancillary library causes a bunch of headers to move.
xorg-x11-devel should "own" that directory and when we get an X11
maintainer that package should be responsible for moving it out of the
X11R6 space, but not until then, and not by a random library.

Brian