RE: Ping? + RFC [was RE: Setup.exe vs corrupt lst.gz files.]

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 26 February 2008 14:55, Igor Peshansky wrote:
>
> > The question is: what kind of behavior do we really want in case of
> > cancellation?  If we want setup to stop whatever it's doing
> > (dependences, etc, aside), but be able to resume at a later point to
> > fix the state of the system, then Dave's "part 1" is the right
> > approach.  If we want setup to always leave the system in a sane
> > state, even when it's interrupted, then we should capture the exit
> > message and figure out how to clean up the missing dependences.
>
>   You've somewhat missed the point.  The justification for part 1 is
> that, entirely orthogonal to and regardless of whatever else we do,
> those dialog boxes should be modal and they aren't.  It Is Just Plain
> Wrong.

Sorry, I misspoke (mis-wrote?).  I meant to say that your "part 1" takes
us towards that goal.  Also, in my morning confusion, I referred to the
fix for the corrupt lst.gz files as your "part 1".  There is no question
that both were "the right thing to do".

>   It is a fortuitous side-effect of making them correctly modal that it
> becomes slightly trickier to accidentally cancel an installation when
> you thought you were just cancelling an individual pop-up request.

An alternative would be to pop up a warning box on "Cancel" that says that
this action may leave the system in an unstable state, and "are you sure
you want to cancel?".  I'd still like to have the ability to cancel a long
install (preferably with the ability to fix things later by rerunning
setup).

Incidentally, we already get an incremental install from the way setup is
structured -- it will not re-download packages, and will rerun any
postinstall scripts remaining from the previous run.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor.  That is the whole
Torah; the rest is commentary.  Go and study it." -- Rabbi Hillel