Re: Ping? + RFC [was RE: Setup.exe vs corrupt lst.gz files.]

Dave Korn wrote:

>   Meanwhile, part 1 OK for trunk?

Yes, I think making that dialog modal is good.

Igor Peshansky wrote:

> I don't like Dave's proposal either.  However, simply disabling the
> "Cancel" button altogether is not the solution -- if the user is unable to
> interrupt the installation, she will just kill the process, with
> disastrous results.

Yes, but there will always be a way for the user to shoot themselves in
the foot.  The best we can do is try to make it harder to find the
bullets.  Right now it's quite easy to get into trouble since we allow
arbitrarily stopping the install at any point.  I think disabling the
Cancel button (and the close 'X' button) for the entire install phase
does put us at a better place than we're at now.  Even if they look up
the PID of setup and kill it that way, it's still no worse than what we
have now.  The sad fact is that we don't truly support canceling in any
sane form, so we shouldn't advertise that ability in the UI.  The fact
that you can usually repair things by just rerunning setup (and
especially so now that a corrupt .lst doesn't kill the party) is good,
but it doesn't mean we should rely on this.  To really do this right
(e.g. how MSI can rollback to the starting state midway through a
aborted install) is a tremendous amount of work that I don't think
anyone here is prepared to take on.

Brian