Re: [ITP] mksh-R31b-1 -- Enhanced version of the Korn shell

> Actually, let's hope that this time Jari answers my questions...  As I
> said, if mksh is a full (and fully compatible) replacement for pdksh

To my knowledge, it is. If someone has *.ksh files to try, please
download and install that binary package and see it the mksh handles
them.

The developer is active and responsive.

> I'm in favor of getting the newer package into the distro. Igor

According to:

    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2006-05/msg00024.html

The bug reports:

    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-08/msg00112.html [1]
    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-06/msg00202.html [2]
    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-08/msg01382.html [3]
    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-02/msg00448.html [4]

They are not very clear, but I tried my best to reproduce.

[1] Multiple "sourcing" of initializations files.

    "The script that fails sources another script which loads a whole
    bunch of functions.

    The error happens when I call a function from a certain script, I
    get this error. However, if I call it from a smaller script
    (specially written to just call this function) it works"

Not a problem under mksh. Multiple sourced files; function work. That is

[2] Memory allocation error

    "/home/tbaker/u/bin/urlists[50]: internal error: alloc: freeing
     memory outside of block (corrupted?)

    By running the scripts in debug mode (set -x), I found that
    the problem seemed to occur when declared functions (i.e.,
    declared within the script) were invoked multiple times.
    The functions would work at first, then stop working --
    as if the functions somehow ate up the available memory."

I invoked function 1000 times in a loop, no malloc errors.

[3] Prompt which gets repeated if it's multiline

    "keying <ESC>/ results in ....

    WS-XP-4960: /home/rthompso>
    WS-XP-4960: /home/rthompso>
    WS-XP-4960: /home/rthompso>
    $ /"

Not applicaple. ESC-/ key combination doe snot exist in mksh.
Multiline prompts work without promlems.

Jari

--
Welcome to FOSS revolution: we fix and modify until it shines