Re: Installing Cygwin in restricted environment

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My workstation in office is running Win2K. The environment is locked,
> but I have a folder named C:\Apps that is open and writeable to all
> user. The folder is being used to install non-standard apps. Standard
> apps is always installed in C:\Program Files
>
> It looks like Cygwin is not able to be installed in my environment,
> with the error message:
>
> This operation has been cancelled due to restriction in effect on this
> computer. Please contact your system administrator.
>
> Is there any other way to install Cygwin in this kind of environment?

Besides writing the files to disk, Cygwin also needs to store its mount
table in the registry.  An environment like that very likely disallows
writing to system registry, and that is probably what's tripping this
error.  I'd be surprised if the user registry hive were locked down as
well, so you could try instructing setup to install for "Just me".

Without further information about your installation process (e.g., the
attached /etc/setup/setup.log.full from that installation attempt) I
cannot offer further guesses as to what went wrong.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin