Re: [Packaging error] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mingw-runtime-3.12-1

I'm somewhat unhappy with the idea to include MingW man pages in a
Cygwin installation.  Cygwin and MingW are just two different beasts, no
matter that they run on the same base OS.  I would prefer either not to
install MingW man pages at all in Cygwin, or to create a specific
mingw-manpages package which installs the man pages in a MingW specific
folder like, say, /usr/share/doc/mingw/man.  This package should only be
installed on explicit request by the user.  It could come with .sh and a
.csh shell script in /etc/profile.d which sets MANPATH as
/etc/profile.d/openssl.*sh does.  OTOH, the requirement to prefix the
man pages with "mingw-" would still exist so that no user confuses MingW
and Cygwin man pages.  Am I overcomplicating things?

It seems that the general consensus is that the man pages should not be installed as part of the package. I don't know if there is much of a point installing them to a different location, since the MANPATH would need to manually be updated, or the user would need to execute a script to have the MANPATH updated 'automatically'.

In terms of packaging, is it sufficient to just remove them from the
binary package, but leave them in the source (i.e. update the bindist
target to not include the man pages under a cygwin target)?  Or is it
desired to remove them completely (i.e. update the srcdist target as
well)?

Let me know and I'll produce a new release accordingly.

Thanx!

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe