Re: [ITP] mlcscope-14.1.8

Dave & Diane schrieb:
Hello!

I would like to propose a new package, mlcscope for cygwin. I would like to become the maintainer of this package.

I'm including the setup.hint:

$ cat setup.hint
# comment
sdesc: "Lucent version of cscope for multiple languages (mlcscope)"
ldesc: "Lucent version of cscope for multiple languages (mlcscope).
mlcscope is a source code browser tool allowing developers to simplify
searching source code. mlcscope differs from cscope by using
separate parsers for C/C++ and Java. mlcscope is developed by
Lucent Technologies."
requires: cygwin
category: Devel

As far as I am aware, mlcscope is not available in any major Linux distribution.

I have placed the packages to be reviewed at http://www.lowtechnet.com/cscope :

http://www.lowtechnet.com/cscope/mlcscope-14.1.8-1-src.tar.bz2
http://www.lowtechnet.com/cscope/mlcscope-14.1.8-1.tar.bz2
http://www.lowtechnet.com/cscope/setup.hint

I appreciate your time considering this package for the cygwin distribution.

No GTG.

1.

$ usr/sbin/mlcscope.exe
cscope: no source files found
Usage: cscope [-abcCdeklLoqrRtTuUV] [-f file] [-F file] [-i file] [-I dir]
[-m lang] [-p number] [-P path] [-s dir] [-x ext] [-[0-8] pattern]
-a Ask for subset of files to search in "Find this egrep pattern:"
-b Build the database only.
-c Use only ASCII characters in the database file, that is,
do not compress the data.
-C Ignore letter case when searching.
-d Do not update the database.
-e Suppress the <Ctrl>-E command prompt between files.
-f "file" Use "file" as the database file name instead of
the default (cscope.out).
-F "file" Read symbol reference lines from file, just
like the "<" command.
-i "file" Read any -I, -p, -q, and -T options and the
list of source files from "file" instead of the
default (cscope.files).
-I "dir" Look in "dir" for #include files.
-k Kernel Mode - don't use /usr/include for #include files.
-l Line-oriented interface.
-L Do a single search with line-oriented output.
-m "lang" Use lang for multi-lingual cscope.
-num "pattern" Go to input field num (counting from 0) and find pattern.
-p n Display the last n file path components.
-P "path" Prepend path to relative file names in pre-build databases.
-q Build an inverted index for quick symbol seaching.
-r Display as many lines as possible (return required).
-R Recurse directories for files.
-s "dir" Look in "dir" for additional source files.
-T Use only the first eight characters to match against symbols.
-u Unconditionally build the database.
-U Check file time stamps.
-V Print the version number.
-x "ext" Use extended menu with option "ext".

$ /usr/src/mlcscope/usr/sbin/mlcscope.exe `find -name \*.c`
cscope: converting to new symbol database file format
cscope: building symbol database

Can you patch the source everywhere to reflect the correct name mlcscope and not cscope please.

2.

$ tar tfj mlcscope-14.1.8-1.tar.bz2
usr/sbin/
usr/sbin/mlcscope.exe
usr/share/
usr/share/doc/
usr/share/doc/Cygwin/
usr/share/doc/Cygwin/mlcscope-14.1.8.README
usr/share/doc/mlcscope-14.1.8/
usr/share/doc/mlcscope-14.1.8/COPYING
usr/share/doc/mlcscope-14.1.8/cscalls.html
usr/share/doc/mlcscope-14.1.8/cscope.html
usr/share/doc/mlcscope-14.1.8/index.html
usr/share/doc/mlcscope-14.1.8/mlcscope.html
usr/share/doc/mlcscope-14.1.8/notes.cygwin
usr/share/doc/mlcscope-14.1.8/notes.dos
usr/share/doc/mlcscope-14.1.8/notes.w95
usr/share/doc/mlcscope-14.1.8/notes.win32
usr/share/doc/mlcscope-14.1.8/README
usr/share/man/
usr/share/man/man1/
usr/share/man/man1/cscalls.1.gz
usr/share/man/man1/cscope.1.gz
usr/share/man/man1/mlcscope.1.gz

Either cscalls and cscope binaries are missing, or the docs are wrong.

3. Why usr/sbin ?
We would rather prefer usr/bin
Brian in http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2006-06/msg00073.html also.

4. Missing docs in src pkg:

src/README refers to those missing files:
notes.dos
notes.cygwin
notes.w95
notes.win32
in the src package. Those are only in the binary package. The html docs are also missing from the src pkg.
Better include only the original src pkg, the build script and the patches. BTW: With cygport it will be only 3 lines plus the patch.

5. Missing cscalls
The src contains a cscalls.sh which should installed to usr/bin/cscalls

6. Missing cscope
Is this enough?

cd usr/bin
ln -s mlcscope.exe cscope

I don't think so, because the upstream cygwin package contains different binaries with different functionality.

http://www1.bell-labs.com/cgi-user/wwexptools/gensnapshot?cscope
$ tar tfz cscope.tar.gz
bin/cscope.exe
bin/mlcscope.exe
bin/cscalls
lib/msdos/cscop386.exe
lib/msdos/cscope.exe
lib/msdos/mlcscope.exe
lib/msdos/cscope95.zip
lib/toolnews/cscope
lib/toolhist/cscope
lib/cscope/
lib/cscope/COPYING
man/man1/cscope.1
man/man1/mlcscope.1
man/man1/cscalls.1

cscope.sn.net:
cd /usr/src/mlcscope/cscope-15.5-1/inst/usr/bin
$ ./cscopy -h

Usage: cscope [-bcCdehklLqRTuUvV] [-f file] [-F file] [-i file] [-I dir] [-s dir]
[-p number] [-P path] [-[0-8] pattern] [source files]

-b Build the cross-reference only.
-C Ignore letter case when searching.
-c Use only ASCII characters in the cross-ref file (don't compress).
-d Do not update the cross-reference.
-e Suppress the <Ctrl>-e command prompt between files.
-F symfile Read symbol reference lines from symfile.
-f reffile Use reffile as cross-ref file name instead of cscope.out.
-h This help screen.
-I incdir Look in incdir for any #include files.
-i namefile Browse through files listed in namefile, instead of cscope.files
-k Kernel Mode - don't use /usr/include for #include files.
-L Do a single search with line-oriented output.
-l Line-oriented interface.
-num pattern Go to input field num (counting from 0) and find pattern.
-P path Prepend path to relative file names in pre-built cross-ref file.
-p n Display the last n file path components.
-q Build an inverted index for quick symbol searching.
-R Recurse directories for files.
-s dir Look in dir for additional source files.
-T Use only the first eight characters to match against C symbols.
-U Check file time stamps.
-u Unconditionally build the cross-reference file.
-v Be more verbose in line mode.
-V Print the version number.

7. orisrc download url
I found nowhere a location where to find more information of the original src package and where to download it.

Either http://www1.bell-labs.com/project/wwexptools/cscope/ or http://cscope.sourceforge.net/ should be mentioned somewhere.

8. The latest cscope release is 15.5 (http://cscope.sourceforge.net/)
Probably without java support.
But if you provide a cscope binary and/or man page you should explain how to resolve the conflict if someone wants the newer cscope package.

cscope-15.5 contains also ocs, webcscope and xcscope, but no -m option.

9. setup.hint misses libncurses8

So for a mlcscope package for java support it would be enough to fix those issues, including fixing name, the packaging, remove the cscope man packages and fix the docs.

--
Reini