RE: Maintainer searched

--- Dave Korn  wrote:

>   Well I didn't finish rolling the lot over the weekend owing to reasons I'll
> explain on the talk list, but I'm saying yes anyway.  First thing I'll do
> will
> be reroll a 3.4.4-2 with the fix for PR-whateveritis about the C++
> strings-vs-dlls problem.  Once that's done and seems ok, I'll look at making
> an experimental package from one of the gcc 4 series.  (Anyone got any
> preferences?)

Dave,

The octave and octave-forge packages will greatly benefit from the first bug
fix.  I'll produce new releases ASAP following a gcc 3.4.4-2 bug-fix release.
Thanks for signing on to this important maintenance responsibility.

Do you suppose there is any chance of releasing libstdc++ as a dll for gcc
3.4.4-2 ?  This would greatly reduce the size of the octave and octave-forge
packages.

There is also some consensus that octave performance is hampered by the sjlj
exception handling scheme.  I wonder if it is necessary that mingw and cygwin
use the same method - perhaps mingw could carry sjlj forward as it is more
important for win32 programming, while cygwin could plan a transition to
dwarf2, which perhaps aligns better with the paradigm of porting linux apps.
Just a thought.

Jim Phillips

[Dave, sorry I sent the first copy to you instead of the ML]