Re: Upcoming postgresql layout change

Reini Urban schrieb:
> Due to popular request I'll change the postgresql layout from the big
> monolithic singular package to a layout as used in debian for 8.1
>
> This will make it easier for the packages xemacs and php at first,
> and for users it will seperate the dll's and the clients from the server.
>
> Note that at first I will only support one simultaneous postgresql
> server package. A debian-like postgresql-common for simultaneous
> postgresql server packages (7.4, 8.0, 8.1) is in consideration.
>
> Attached are the hint files for the packages.
>
> The only changes from debian are non-versioned names, -dev renamed to
> -devel to be consistent with our naming, and postgresql-server-dev
> renamed to postgresql-devel.

Before I upload the 13 new postgresql packages, I'll ask a short
question how to handle the upcoming conflict resolution, not to make
stupid mistake.

postgresql-8.1.3-2 setup.hint has:

requires: libpq4 postgresql-client crypt libintl3 openssl zlib
test: 8.1.3-2
prev: 8.0.7-1
curr: 8.1.3-1

For test: 8.1.3-2 everything is correct. I want to prepare this as test
release and therefore bump 8.1.3-1 to curr.

For libpq4 and postgresql-client I created empty -8.1.3-1.tar.bz2 files,
so that when somebody updates from the old prev 8.0.7-1 to the new
current 8.1.3-1 (default behavior), the new empty required client and
lib packages will get pulled in.
When I bump 8.1.3-2 to curr or someone wants the test release, the new
layout will get installed.

Should I provide empty 8.0.7-1.tar.bz2 files for those two required
packages also?

I checked installing 8.1.3-1 locally and updating to 8.1.3-2 also, and
everything looked ok, but who knows.

Problems:
Installing postgresql-8.1.3-2 without installing the test releases
libpq4-8.1.3-2 and postgresql-client-8.1.3-2 will ask for trouble.
I can only think of providing a copy of libpq4-8.1.3-2 as libpq4-8.1.3-1
(ditto for the clients) to circumvent this.