Re: [ITP] mksh 2.6.3 -- MirBSD Korn shell, improved pdksh implementation

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Jari Aalto wrote:

> Included in
>
> o   Debian (testing => f'coming stable)
>     http://packages.debian.org/mksh
> o   Gentoo
>     http://packages.gentoo.org/ebuilds/?mksh-23
>
> Jari
>
> sdesc: "Enhanced version of the Korn shell"
> ldesc: "A shell which is MirBSD enhanced version of the Public Domain
> Korn shell (pdksh), a bourne-compatible shell which is largely similar to the
> original AT&T Korn shell. It includes bug fixes and feature
> improvements in order to produce a modern, robust shell good for
> interactive and especially script use."
> category: Shells
> requires: cygwin
>
> 1) Manual download
>
>   wget        \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/mksh/mksh-2.6.3-1.tar.bz2.sig \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/mksh/mksh-2.6.3-1.tar.bz2 \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/mksh/mksh-2.6.3-1-src.tar.bz2.sig \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/mksh/mksh-2.6.3-1-src.tar.bz2 \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/mksh/setup.hint
>
> 2) Automated; running "sh get.sh" will print further instructions
>
>   gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 955A92D8
>
>   mkdir mksh ; cd mksh
>   rm -f get.sh get.sh.sig
>   wget    http://cygwin.cante.net/mksh/get.sh \
>           http://cygwin.cante.net/mksh/get.sh.sig
>   gpg --verify get.sh.sig get.sh &&
>   sh get.sh

As the pdksh maintainer, I would like to veto having this package in the
distro simultaneously with pdksh (since this is a newer version of pretty
much the same package).  In fact, I've been (slowly) working on preparing
a new release of pdksh that includes many of the mirbsd patches.  I don't
mind obsoleting pdksh in favor of mksh, but we'll need to coordinate this.

Jari, you might want to review the pending complaints about pdksh to see
if they are fixed in your mksh version.  I can send you a list (with links
to archives) if you're interested.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/