Re: [maybe-ITP] gamin

Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
> AFAIK it doesn't.  (Otherwise I would have included it in Cygwin Ports
> a while ago, or even the distro, as gnome-vfs2 can use it.)  It does
> compile easily, as do the python bindings, but while the server
> launches, the test suite fails horribly, seemingly because it can't
> pick up any FS changes.
I guess you did try with latest version, 0.1.7..?
Both under FreeBSD and Cygwin we didn't manage to have a working
gamin-0.1.7.
But gamin-0.1.5 works perfectly, it seems. (Using polling, of course.)
> At this point Gamin is fairly tied to Linux, portability is not a
> primary goal at this stage but if you have portability patches they
> are welcome.
Yes, and most of the patches that some FreeBSD folk did some time ago
for version 0.1.5 were in fact included upstream. Unfortunately 0.1.7
seems to have added some /other/ Linux-tiedness, as it doesn't work,
even "porting" those patches not included from 0.1.5 to 0.1.7.
> Sounds like this is a case of PTC.  I don't have the resources to
> devote to getting this working, but if someone else does, I will
> happily built  and test this.
Well, then.
Me and Alessandro are willing to manage the package, as we need it at
work anyway, and having it available thru setup.exe certainly eases things.
(well of course if you insist to package it yourself, we won't complain ^_^)

Only catch would be that:
a. we do not need latest version (which seems to be quite changed)
enough to justify devoting the necessary resources to make it working,
or at least not soon
b. we would produce a non-threaded library (see "Java and Cygwin: a
difficult relation", a few minutes ago on cygwin@): does gnome-vfs2 or
Gnome in general need the threaded library or not? is there a way to
produce two different but non clashing packages, in case of need?