Re: [maybe-ITP] gamin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
This really works on cygwin?

AFAIK it doesn't. (Otherwise I would have included it in Cygwin Ports a while ago, or even the distro, as gnome-vfs2 can use it.) It does compile easily, as do the python bindings, but while the server launches, the test suite fails horribly, seemingly because it can't pick up any FS changes.

> I would have thought that there were operating system hooks needed.
> Or does it just poll files?

Gamin can use any of several backends, most of which are kernel-based, but the only one that can build on Cygwin is polling.

Quoting from their website[1]:

At this point Gamin is fairly tied to Linux, portability is not a primary goal at this stage but if you have portability patches they are welcome.

[1] http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/overview.html

Sounds like this is a case of PTC. I don't have the resources to devote to getting this working, but if someone else does, I will happily built and test this.

Yaakov