Re: "submission rules page" proposal number 2

Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please-rDBXBDvO6BXQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 10:33:23AM +0100, Lapo Luchini wrote:
>   2) Send an ITP to the cygwin mailing list.  If the package is part
>   of a distribution, include the URL which demonstrates this.  Include
>   a setup.hint.

>   3) If you have received the correct number of votes or if the package
>   is part of a distribution, include URL(s) for the package binary and
>   source so that someone can download them to check the package for any
>   obvious problems.

[I'll reiterate from my previous post (ITP weblint)]

There has been objections to include Debian packages that are in
unstable. Let's think a while statements:

- It's included in Fedora
- It's included in Ubuntu
- It's included in Gentoo
- It's included in Debian

To my knowledge, Debian is the only one that includes (in my
terminology) so called "release categories", that is

  stable
  testing
  unstable
  experimental

Ubuntu is based on Debian "unstable", where packages are frozen in 6
month intervals.

Fedora has release schedule similar to Ubuntu (NN months).

I don't know Gentoo, but I assume they only have one package category,
but that's not necessary the "stable" released Gentoo, but the latest
found there.

Debian "stable" is more like Redhat RHEL, which does not change often.
It would be impractical to say "only Debian stable" packages are
accepted without votes. If that were the rule, then we whould need to
similarly accept only RHEL packages from Redhat side.

So, what packages are exactly included in statement "If the package is part
of a distribution"

Jari