Rsync and Chinese characters problem

I'm trying to setup a series of windows computers to automatically
back themselves up to a remote rsync server. To accomplish this
I installed cygwin with cron, ssh, and rsync on all the systems.

However, a couple systems will not backup, looking at the logfiles
reveals comments like "file has vanished:" and reports of filenames
with multiple questionmarks as the filename. Right now I'm resorting
to scp'ing, which of course transmits all files every time. Is
there anyway to get rsync to work with a Chinese charcterset somehow?

Thanks,
Robert

PS: I'm using a command like:
rsync -vzae ssh "/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings" foo@255.255.255.255: