RE: Prefab Program Selections (was: RE: Regrouping on "installation profile" idea)

Things like ".Intended Use", "Installation Type", etc make sense the very
first time somebody installs.  The next time that person touches setup on
their machine, ".Intended Use" only causes confusion, as I described in my
reply to Mr. Tacvek.  I can guarantee you with proverbial metaphysical
certitude that the messages on the lists asking "I installed all of Cygwin,
why can't I run <<program they didn't install>>?!?!" will not only not go
away, but will be joined by a chorus of people asking (and understandably
so):

- "I accidentally installed Cygwin for the Intended Use of an SSH server,
when I really wanted to do C programming!  I'm using a 300-baud smoke-signal
modem, and there's no way I'm going to redownload the Full Cygwin
Installation (FCI(tm))!  What do I do?!?!"
- Q: "Do I need to install Cygwin on two separate machines to do C
development and Perl development?"
  - A: "Well, the easiset way to do this is to install CygWINE, run two
virtual Windows machines, and install a separate Cygwin on each one."
- "How can I manually edit the registry so I can use both the "SSH Server"
Installation Type AND the "X Windows" Intended Use?  I can't believe the
idiots who wrote setup didn't allow for this!"

Metaphysical.  Certitude.

> Pasting the below from private mail, to make sure it doesn't get lost:
>
> Later, when setup is changed to put package name first in
> category view, something like this would make sense too:
>
> [+] All () Default
>   [+] .I would like to... () Default
>         Develop programs using GCC        1.0-1       () Keep
>  n/a [ ]   1k
>         Run X windows                     1.0-1       () Keep
>  n/a [ ]   1k
>         Run the SSHD server               1.0-1       () Keep
>  n/a [ ]   1k
>         Run the Apache web server         1.0-1       () Keep
>  n/a [ ]   1k
>         Write documents using LaTeX       1.0-1       () Keep
>  n/a [ ]   1k
>   [+] Admin () Default
>   [+] Archive () Default

Now that I like.