Re: New application proposal - git-core SCM

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 11:05:42PM -0600, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> > From: Tim O'Callaghan
> >
> > With regards to mutt, I emailed g.r.vansickle about 3 weeks
> > ago asking about the possibility of moving from mutt 1.4.1 to
> > 1.5.10 or to create a 1.5.10 test release. I did not get any
> > response, so i grabbed and compiled the latest mutt and later
> > found mutt-ng.
>
> Oh, yeah, sorry.  For future reference, private emails are generally
> discouraged in favor of posts to the lists.  Somebody asked me this on-list
> not long ago; My current plans are to only support the "Stable" 1.4.x
> upstream release.
>
> As far as doing 1.5.x as a "test" release, it seems to me that would be a
> bit of a misuse of the test category.  The way I see it, "test" is purgatory
> for "curr"-wannabes.  There's a lot of upstream mutt development going on
> right now, and there's no indication that 1.5.10 will ever be stamped
> "Stable" (in fact I'd be pretty surprised if it was).

Maybe got the wrong idea, but i assumed Test generated the
'Experimental' list in the setup app. Which to me implied non 'stable'
ports. I was going to release muttng in that category because of this
assumption.

> >  I do not want to step on any toes or usurp
> > anyones maintainership. I just thought a wider audience might
> > like easy access to mutt-ng, as i use it with the other tools
> > i mentioned.
> >
> > The advantages of mutt-ng is that it can handle getting
> > messages via POP, IMAP and NNTP without need for an external
> > tool. It also has a thunder-bird style sidebar in which you
> > can display the status of your mail and news folders.
> >

> I frankly don't know much about mutt-ng other than what you said there and
> that it's a fork of the mutt codebase.  Rumor on the mutt lists is that it
> isn't very active, and I got the impression it was a fork that had "flamed
> out".

AFAIU its a version of mutt with some patches that have not been
accepted into the main mutt tree, such as sidebar and NNTP. There is
still development being done on the source, not much on the traffic
lists. AFAIK it is also tracking the mutt base as well.

my compiled version of muttng -v reports:

--
/cygdrive/c/home/tim>muttng -v
Mutt-ng devel-r561 (based on Mutt 1.5.11/2005-09-15)

System:
  CYGWIN_NT-5.0 1.5.18(0.132/4/2) (i686)
External Libraries:
  ncurses 5.4
  libiconv 1.9
  gdbm GDBM version 1.8.3. 10/15/2002 (built Aug 10 2003 22:11:57)
  gnutls 1.0.25
Compile Options:
  -DEBUG
  +HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  -DL_STANDALONE
  +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK   -USE_INODESORT   +USE_HCACHE
  +USE_POP  +USE_NNTP  +USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  -USE_SSL  +USE_GNUTLS  -USE_SASL  -USE_LIBESMTP
  -HAVE_REGCOMP  +USE_GNU_REGEX  +COMPRESSED
  +HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
  +HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME  -CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME  +BUFFY_SIZE -SUN_ATTACHMENT
  +ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET  +HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
  +HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  -HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID  -HAVE_GETADDRINFO
Built-In Defaults:
  -DOMAIN
  +ISPELL="/cygdrive/r/texlive/bin/win32/ispell"
  +SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
  +MAILPATH="mail/localinbox"
  +PKGDATADIR="/usr/local/share/muttng"
  +PKGDOCDIR="NONE/doc/muttng"
  +SYSCONFDIR="/usr/local/etc"
  +EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
  -MIXMASTER

To contact the developers, please mail to <mutt-ng-devel@lists.berlios.de>.
To visit the Mutt-ng homepage go to http://www.muttng.org.
To report a bug, please use the fleang(1) utility.

Mutt-ng is based on the following patches written for mutt:

patch-1.5.6.cb.current_shortcut.2
patch-1.5.6.tt.assumed_charset.1
patch-1.5.6.tg.hcache.12
patch-1.5.5.1.pdmef.short_mbox_name.1
rr.compressed
patch-1.5.4.fw.maildir_inode_sort
patch-1.4.admcd.gnutls.59d
patch-1.5.6i.sidebar.20041122
patch-1.5.4.aw.listreply.1
vvv.initials
patch-1.5.5.1.cd.purge_message.3.4
patch-1.5.5.1.cd.trash_folder.3.4
patch-1.5.5.1.cd.edit_threads.9.5
patch-1.5.4.cd.ifdef.1
patch-1.5.4.cd.source_multiple.2
vvv.quote
vvv.nntp

> I personally don't care one way or the other if you wanted to package it,
> unless it would interfere with mutt or its mailbox(es).  Is mutt-ng still
> using mbox and/or Maildir?

The mailbox handling should be exactly the same as mutt, so should
cause no problems.  It would not interfere with existing mutt
configurations either, as the rc files are:
/usr/local/etc/Muttngrc, ~/.muttngrc, ~/.muttng/muttngrc

I will hold off for a month or so before formally submitting muttng,
but i would like to submit it at some point. Then we can let the
gerrymandering begin in earnest ;)

Tim.
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results."
-- Winston Churchill